How to bathe sphynx, bambino or elf. Cats by nature are clean animals. Scientists have calculated that purrs devote about 3-5 hours a day to licking their fur coats. However, both long-haired and short-haired cats still need to be bathed with special shampoos and running water.
So, for example, Persians and Siberians are usually bathed once every 1.5-2 months or less, and shorthair Britons or Scots — once every 4-6 months. And what about hairless cats? How often to bathe sphynxes, bambinos and elfes? In this article, we will figure out whether it is possible to bathe a sphynx and, if so, how often and how to wash properly.
Why naked cats are bathed often
Hairless cats differ from their furry counterparts not only in their exotic appearance. There is a difference in the rate of contamination. So, the fur coat of the same, let’s say, Maine Coon protects the skin of its «carrier» from contamination. For natural reasons, hairless cats get dirty quickly, so you need to wash the sphynx, bambino or elf quite often.
In addition, sphynxes, bambinos and elfes trees sweat quite a lot, which also leads to rapid contamination of the body, and especially a lot of sewage in their skin folds (not only dirt accumulates there, but also villi, particles of feed and toilet filler, etc.). It is correct to bathe a sphynx, bambino or elf once every 1-3 weeks, depending on the color of the pet and the level of contamination of its skin. How to understand that it’s time to bathe a cat? Such moments will help you navigate:
- Smell – if an unpleasant aroma comes from the pet, it’s time to wash it;
- The stickiness of the skin, fatty plaque is another sign that the dirty cat needs bathing;
- The accumulation of dirt in the folds of the skin is a signal that it’s time to arrange a bath day for your pet.
So, we found out that hairless cats need to be bathed quite often. However, in bathing procedures, you should also know the measure. It is often not necessary to wash a sphynx or another «bald cat», firstly, because these cats quickly get overcooled after taking a bath, and secondly, shampoos and water eliminate special lubrication of the sebaceous glands, which often leads to skin irritations and other problems. If an animal, say, has dirty paws, you can use wet wipes (sanitary napkins for cats can be purchased at a pet store or veterinary pharmacy).
Bathing a naked cat is correct
Now it’s time to learn how to bathe a sphynx, bambino or elf. First you need to prepare for an important event for both the cat and its owner:
- Special shampoo for cats without hair. No matter how anyone says, even baby shampoos for washing cats can cause irritation and may be unsuitable;
- Sanitary napkins for cats. They can be used to wipe the pet’s head;
- Soft little bathing sponge (human spiky washcloths are not suitable, they can easily damage the pet’s skin);
- 1 large or 2 medium dry wiping towels;
- You need to decide where to bathe the cat: in the bathtub or in the basin. If the second option is selected, you need to prepare a clean small basin, bucket and bucket in advance (there will be water in it for rinsing). If the choice falls on the bath, there is no need to prepare a bucket with a ladle, since the shampoo can be washed off from the shower;
- This is not necessary, but it is advisable to take a medium-sized towel. It can be placed on the bottom of the basin or bath so that the animal does not slip;
- If necessary, you need to help a friend or family member. Perhaps the animal will endure bathing with fortitude. But for the first wash, it is better to enlist the support of someone close to you;
- In the cool season, it is necessary to close all windows, vents and doors so that the animal does not catch a cold;
- Immediately before bathing, take warm water with a temperature of 38-40 ° C (100-104 ° F) into the bath or into a basin and bucket. A lot of water is not needed, it should be just enough to cover the cat’s paws no higher than the wrist joints or kneecaps. At the bottom of the bath (basin) we put a towel against slipping;
- Calming the cat. Loud shouts of the owner, chaotic movements, running from the bathroom to other rooms only make the cat nervous, for which the first bathing is likely to be stressful in any case.
Now that all the preparations are over, it’s time to start bathing:
- We take the pet and carry it to the bathroom. At the same time, it is desirable to talk calmly and affectionately with a family friend;
- We put the cat in the bath (basin), let him get used to staying in warm water a little (1-2 minutes);
- Immerse the sponge in a bath or basin so that it absorbs water. Moisten the pet’s body evenly, bypassing the head area (water should not get into the cat’s ears, and into the eyes too);
- Squeeze a small amount of shampoo onto the sponge. We lather the cat’s body with light massaging movements (if the pet breaks out, we ask a friend for help to hold the obstinate dirty);
- Gently wash off the shampoo from the shower or bucket. It is important that there is no detergent left on the cat’s body;
- Wipe the cat’s body dry with a towel;
- Wipe the parts of the muzzle, the back of the head and the ears with napkins.
What should be considered when bathing a cat without wool
- A hairless kitten can be bathed from 1 month, but it is better to postpone water procedures until the pet «knocks» at least 3-4 months. Bathing a sphinx kitten that has not reached 4 weeks is too risky, because washing is a real stress (i.e. there is a chance that even an adult cat will associate a bath with something terrible). And it’s easier for an immature baby to catch a cold;
- In no case should you bathe a cat if she is unwell (high fever, vomiting or diarrhea, pain syndrome, etc.). In extreme cases, it is better to use wet wipes;
- It is better to prepare for bathing not with a cat. The noise of water, the rumble of the basin and bucket, the fuss — all this should remain «behind the scenes». It is better to bring the pet to the bathroom when everything is ready for bathing;
- It is best to bathe your pet on an empty stomach or after a very light meal;
- Do not bathe a sphinx or a pet without a coat of another breed for 2 weeks after vaccination;
- It is better to give up taking a bath for a while if the house is too cold (for example, when there are heating interruptions in winter);
- As mentioned earlier, bathing is stressful for most cats. If the pet behaved tolerably during washing, it should be encouraged with a treat. This approach will help the cat get used to the need to bathe faster;
- To avoid injury, the claws of a bald purr should be trimmed a day or two before bathing;
- Bathing a naked cat is a real hassle for its owner. And although there are individuals who are calm about washing, most cats have a negative attitude to bathing. Specialist groomers come to the owner’s aid, who can wash the cat. By signing up for at least one such procedure, the owner will have a chance to learn the wisdom of bathing a cat from a real master.
How to bathe sphynx, bambino or elf